Sunday 23 September 2018

Long overdue for an update sorry!

There's been zero updates to the blog for way too long sorry.
For those that don't know Karen was diagnosed late 2013 with breast cancer.

She had an op followed by months of Chemo and then Radiotherapy through 2014.
I am glad to say by early 2015 all the 'nasty' treatment had ended and she now just has regular checkups.

We decided to take a well-earned holiday during Easter 2015.
We had a fantastic cruise around the Med however perhaps visiting Rome & especially the Vatican on good Friday was not the best idea!

Unfortunately within a few days of our return I discovered HP had decided to select me for compulsory redundancy! They then changed their minds and withdrew "the offer" the day before I was due to leave in April.

I was not impressed, fast forward 3 months and I decided not to play their, will they, won't they game anymore and took voluntary redundancy in the July. 

The pay-out was enough to live on for 3 years if necessary.
I spent the next 3 months pondering what I wanted to do, I fancied a complete change but realised my skill set as an IT PM and CV full of prestigious companies had value.

I have always wanted/planned to retire by 60 if poss. so we decided to set up a Ltd Company and I now provide a range of services to select clients as an IT Consultant - the business has done very well. So well in fact we have paid off our mortgage & I have been able to significantly increase my personal pension pot.

I now plan to 'retire' at the end of 2018.
I need a bit of a rest and obviously Karen having retired in 1996 when Peter was born is well ahead of me in that respect............Ouch........


The Kids:

Peter left home in June 2015, initially he went to stay with friends in York but latterly has moved in with another friend in Mid Wales, not the best place to hope to find work though!

Late last summer he went to stay with 'Nan' in Sittingbourne and over the Xmas break we discussed his plans for the future, he has developed an interest in woodwork and with fairly rudimentary tools has made several very convincing replicas of medieval weapons.

We decided to fund a carpentry course and Peter is now back home with us and attending Wrexham college.

David finished 6th form in 2016 and his A level results secured him his preferred place at Salford University studying TV & Radio Production. He is currently doing his final year with plans to do a Masters afterwards, he lives in local accommodation and is working part time for various production companies.

Alden selected his final options at Secondary School & recently applied to join the Navy he hope to gain entry to Welbeck - The Defence Sixth Form College. and train as a weapons officer.

We have had a change of cars I bought a BMW 5 series automatic diesel estate just before diesel started to become the subject of much political debate!

The MG V8 was sold :(

I bought s BMW R1200ST :)

We have also gone very green and we bought a Kia Soul Electric Car for Karen she loves it and I often prefer it myself instead of the BMW!

Next year is going to be very different I have loads of jobs around the house to catch up on & we are giving serious consideration to buying or more likely building a camper Van.

We have taken inspiration from several people on YouTube

The 'Morgans' and 'Wandering Bird' respectively have inspired us to consider getting our own Motorhome.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQrwFwbaOEC_rJMKK7szNg

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL6tX_LLjrrOy9tk6OwVsfQ

and

Greg Virgoe is doing a masterclass on his diy Sprinter van Conversion:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Ewv0kp0Npz2JWtIdhdryw


With North Wales virtually on our door step and our familiarity with Scotland it seems a very sensible way to travel and we can take the dogs!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.